You may have heard about essential oils, smelled them on a friend, and even tried a few while roaming the aisles of Whole Foods. So what exactly are essential oils, how do you use them, and how do you know what to look for in an essential oil to guarantee you are getting a quality oil?
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are natural aromatic compounds found in flowers, seeds, stems, bark and other parts of plants. When you pierce the peel of an orange, rub fresh rosemary leaves together in your hands, or inhale the aroma of a rose you are experiencing essential oils. Essential oils have been used for a variety of health and wellness applications throughout history. The Egyptians were some of the first people to use essential oils extensively for their medicinal properties, beauty treatments, food preparation and spiritual practices. Essential oils such as frankincense, sandalwood, myrrh and cinnamon were considered so valuable they were exchanged for gold along the caravan trade routes.
Today, we still enjoy many of the same properties from essential oils as the Egyptians did in ancient times. Modern day essential oils go beyond the perfume industry as health scientists and medical practitioners continue to research and validate the numerous health and wellness benefits of therapeutic grade essential oils.
Check out this video to learn more about what is an essential oil.
Why Quality Matters?
The quality of an essential oil will impact it's effectiveness. In order to get a therapeutic effect with your essential oil be sure you are using a therapeutic grade essential oil that is 100% pure AND potent. High quality essential oils are void of fillers, free from contaminants, harvested in the right growing conditions, and ethically sourced. It takes many pounds, sometimes even hundreds of pounds of plant material to make one 15ml bottle of therapeutic grade essential oil. Low cost essential oils are often diluted with fillers, synthetically created, or support poverty during sourcing. The highest quality of essential oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) essential oils. I have experienced many brands of essential oils over the last decade but the brand I prefer is doTERRA.
doTERRA sets the bar for purity and potency of essential oils. They work with a global network of growers to source the purest, most potent essential oils available. Their oils are a step beyond organic and are Certified Pure Therapuetic Grade, which means they are free from contaminants, toxins, synthetics and fillers. Great care is taken to ensure they are grown in the right environment, harvest at the right time, and are efficacy tested by scientists for purity and potency.
doTERRA runs a series of tests on every single batch of essential oils including:
1. Organoleptic testing for sight, smell, taste and touch.
2. Microbial Testing to ensure the oil has not been contaminated during the filling process.
3. Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry to check compounds and composition of the essential oil.
4. Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy to ensure potency.
5. Chirality to ensure no synthetics are present.
6. Isotopic Analysis to determine which isotopes are present and in what concentrations to prevent adulteration.
7. Heavy Metal Testing to ensure the essential oils are void of heavy metals.
Check out the video below to see what makes doTERRA different from other essential oil.
The thing I love MOST about doTERRA is that the company supports “co-impact sourcing” which means the global network of small scale growers and harvesters are treated ethically, paid fair wages, and create a long term partnership with sustainable jobs. Each time I purchase a doTERRA essential oil I am supporting a global mission. This company's heart radiates into every level including the growers, producers, customers and wellness advocates. I am grateful to be part of their mission.
Check out this video to see how you make a difference in the world each time you purchase a doTERRA essential oil.
11 reasons I LOVE Essential Oils
11. I GLOW. Seriously, my skin has never looked better.
10. People litteraly run after me in the grocery store to tell me I smell good.
9. No more rashes from harsh laundry detergent.
8. Never run out of "fresh" herbs to infuse my meals.
7. Best smelling house on the block.
6. I don't have to wear gloves when I clean.
5. Soothing to my baby's mood and sensitive skin.
4. Friends are always calling me to ask, "Do you have an oil for that?"
3. Supported a VERY easy pregnancy, labor and delivery.
2. Saves me a TON of money every year by purchasing essential oils at wholesale and making my own products.
1. Allows me to get paid for sharing my passion about natural health solutions with others. Work with me!
Check out this video to learn how I use the top 10 oils every home needs.
Still looking for more information?
Then this final video is for you! This is my full length class, "Introduction to the Essential Oils Lifestyle" where you will recieve an indepth introduction to essential oils, how to identify a high qulaity essential oil, how to use essential oils to support a happy mind, healthy body, and a toxin-free home. Plus, purchase options that will save you a TON of money.
Are you ready to get started using essential oils? Check out how to get the purest, most potent essential oils available at the best possible price.